No announcement yet.

Bulgarian minethrower ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Bulgarian minethrower ?

I read that Bulgaria invented a 70mm minethrower before Balkan War.
    AFIK it was not produced due to some technical faults, but the list of Bulgarian weapons at the beginning of WW1 shows 30 бомбохвъргачки, that may be these minethrowers.

Has anybody further informations about this weapons, its technical datas, its use and if possible, a picture of it?

Thanks

By "minethrower", do you mean "mortar"? I believe there's a slight difference between the concept of the two.
    If you do, it's very possible that "бомбохвъргачки" in your data refers to them.
    By the way, I've heard that the bulgarian infantry in WWI (and perhaps others too) practiced a granade(or bomb)-throwing method, consisting of some kind of improvised slingshot. However, such devices probably would not be mentioned in an archive.
    "No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity."
    "But I know none, and therefore am no beast."

(Richard III - William Shakespeare)

Comment

Yes, I also often wondered what are those Бомбохвъргачки. Once I thought these are Rifle Grenade Launchers, but nowadays I'm not sure.
      We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are
      ---Anais Nin----

Comment

Could they be some kind of "regular" artillery, like heavy siege cannons or something of that kind?

Comment

Dinain написа
          By "minethrower", do you mean "mortar"? I believe there's a slight difference between the concept of the two.
          If you do, it's very possible that "бомбохвъргачки" in your data refers to them.
          Excuse me for the inaccurancy, but usually I read a text in Bulgarian, I think about it in Italian and I express my opinion in English, passing sometimes by German). So I'm often a bit confused. :o

According with the usual use of the terms in Bulgaria sources I can read, I think that :
          минохвъргачка = Minenwerfer = Mortar = Mortaio
          гранохвъргачка = Granatwerfer = grenade launcher = Lanciamine
          бомбохвъргачка = Bombenwerfer = mine thrower or mine launcher = Lanciabombe

I'm not sure of the effective difference between the two English terms, but usually both Lanciamine/Granatwerfer and Lanciabombe/Bombenwerfer mean light infantry weapons usually with barrel not rifled and sometimes improvised by the soldiers themselves.

I think the Bulgarian бомбохвъргачка is a sort of Granatwerfer. It was designed also гранохвъргачка and мортирка.

The data I have are:
          Calibre : 70mm
          Lenght of the barrel : 75cm
          Range : 150/460m
          The barrel was in sheet (ламаринена). It fired spherical bombs called бомбит, that I think were the "Macedonia" hand granades, but I'm not sure.
          The barrel used the breechblock of the Berdan rifle.

Comment

So it's clear now. It was just a suggestion and it's obviously not slingshot, but a weapon with a barrel

Comment

According with A.RICCHETTI, La guerra nella penisola balcanica, Torino 1915, page 122 during the siege of Odrin in March 1913 "many men from infantry units had handgrenades that they threw with their hands at a distance of 25 metres or with a little mine thrower built with component of Berdan rifle at a distance of 300 metres".

On the basis of this description, it seems that the "Bulgarian minethrower" built after the Balkan War was used during the war against Turkey.

Comment

MCP написа
                .... or with a little mine thrower built with component of Berdan rifle at a distance of 300 metres".

Comment

Really many thanks for the picture.

Comment

An old picture...a decade later
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09233.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.8 КБ
ID:	554013Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09241.JPG
Size:	101.0 КБ
ID:	554014Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09243.JPG
Size:	105.2 КБ
ID:	554015Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09246.JPG
Size:	121.3 КБ
ID:	554016Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09252.JPG
Size:	104.5 КБ
ID:	554017

Comment

And the manual of the " ръчната бомбова мортирка " ....
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09256.JPG
Size:	125.2 КБ
ID:	554018Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09257.JPG
Size:	154.0 КБ
ID:	554019Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09258.JPG
Size:	175.7 КБ