Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Bulgarian anti-aircraft machine guns

As well as the guns, the machine guns also found an use, at first temporarily, in anti-aircraft defence. I could not be viewed as a good replacement for guns, but it was intended to be effective against low flying aircraft. To this in October 1915 Bulgarian Air Defence builts its first units armed with machine-guns. During the War the strenght of this branch of Air Defence rose from seven machine guns to five MG half companies (картечна полурота).
    Bulgarian army used Hotchkiss, Madsen, Maxim and Schwarzlose machine-guns. Once more the problem was to adapt them for anti-aircraft work. From the beginning the two Hotchkiss and the existing five Madsen machine guns were put on special mounts. During the war Madsen machine guns usually were mounted on special pedestal (see the picture), while the Maxims were put on carriages or on basaments. But a great number of improvised mountings were used by Bulgarian Army. In order to improve their performances Schwarzlose and Maxim machine guns received also a special circular sight.

Remarks
    I am not an expert of machine guns, but reading the messages posted in various threads I saw that some members are. So I hope that anybody may add the technichal datas of the anti-aircraft machine guns used by Bulgarian Army in World War 1. The same for the pictures. I added some pictures and I tried to identify the machine guns represented on it. I’m sure that the first one is a Madsen and I have no problem for the German Maxim MG08 on the 1916 pattern tripod with an anti-aircraft adaptor, for the others I hope that my inferences are correct. In particular I could not find a picture of an Hotchkiss used as anti-aircraft machine gun. Of course every corrections is welcome!
    Attached Files

Comment

Schneider-Canet 150mm Howitzer M. 1905

This picture shows a Schneider-Canet 150mm Howitzer M. 1905 orderd by Rumenian army but assigned to Belgian Army at the beginning of World War 1. It was used during the siege of Antwerpen. This is the same howitzer used by Bulgarian Army. The shield was added to Bulgarian howitzers when they were improved.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm back. During my summer trip in Wien I could obtain some new information and today I begin to update and correct my previous post. I think that for the beginning of next week I will able to finish the correction of the old posts. Then I hope to finish my job with old pattern and coastal guns.
        Best

Comment

Obsolete guns

At the outbreak of World War I, Bulgarian artillery had also a little number of old pattern guns with little or no use in a modern war. They were stored in fortress depots and it is very likely that they did not fire a single shot during the war.
          They were old guns or mortars supplied by Russian Army during the war against Turkey in 1877-78 or captured by Russian and Bulgarian forces.
          Even if they cannot be really regarded as artillery of Bulgarian Army during World War I, I think it may be interesting to add the information I have about them, expecially because recently Bisko was interested in artillery of Liberation War.
          Unfortunately my scanner doesn't work now. So I'll add some pictures as soon as possible.

Comment

Old pattern Russian heavy guns

Gun model : 24 pounders long gun
            Calibre : 152.39mm L/21
            Weight : 2108 kg
            Weight with breech mechanism : 2235 kg
            Weight in action : 4500 kg
            Weight of the platform : 1370 kg
            Tube Lenght : 3.230 m
            Shell Weight : 29 kg / 30.7 kg / 35.1 kg / 35.8 kg
            Case shot Weight : 35.2 kg
            Shrapnel Weight : 34.9 kg
            Muzzle Velocity : 325 m/s
            Max. Range : 5300 m
            Remarks : Russian bronze long gun supplied in 1877-78; it seems that in 1906 Bulgarian Army had ten 24 pdrs long or short guns.

Gun model : 24 pounders short gun
            Calibre : 152.39mm L/14.3
            Weight : 1435 kg
            Weight with breech mechanism : 1533 kg
            Weight in action : 3500 kg
            Weight of the platform : 1370 kg
            Tube Lenght : 2.180 m
            Shell Weight : 29 kg / 30.7 kg / 35.1 kg / 35.8 kg
            Shrapnel Weight : 34.9 kg
            Muzzle Velocity : 225 m/s
            Max. Range : 3800 m
            Remarks : Russian bronze short gun shipped in 1877-78; it seems that in 1906 Bulgarian Army had ten 24 pdrs long or short guns.

Gun model : 24 pounders mortar
            Calibre : 152.39mm L/9
            Weight : 1425 kg
            Weight with breech mechanism : 1572 kg
            Weight in action : 3400 kg
            Weight of the platform : 1200 kg
            Tube Lenght : 1.350 m
            Shell Weight : 29.7 kg / 30.7 kg
            Muzzle Velocity : 231 m/s
            Max. Range : 3600 m
            Elevation : + 45° / -°5°
            Remarks : Russian bronze mortar shipped in 1877-78; it seems that in 1906 Bulgarian Army had 4 of such mortars.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MCP; 30-12-2005, 13:58. Причина: added images

Comment

Old pattern Russian light guns

Gun model : 9 pounders gun
              Calibre : 106.7mm L/20
              Weight : 574 kg
              Weight with breech mechanism : 630 kg
              Weight in action : 1500 kg
              Tube Lenght : 2133 m
              Shell Weight : 11 kg / 13.4 kg.
              Shrapnel Weight : 11.4 kg
              Case shot Weight : 10.4 kg / 12.6 kg
              Muzzle Velocity : 320 m/s
              Max. Range : 6000 m
              Elevation : + 20° / - 7°30'
              Remarks : Russian steel or bronze gun supplied in 1877-78; it seems that in 1906 Bulgarian Army had 36 of such guns.

Gun model : 4 pounders light gun
              Calibre : 86.8mm L/20
              Weight : 320 kg
              Weight with breech mechanism : 338 kg
              Weight in action : 802 kg
              Tube Lenght : 1.740 m
              Shell Weight : 5.7 kg /6.1 Kg
              Case shot Weight : 7.3 kg
              Shrapnel Weight : 5.9 kg
              Muzzle Velocity : 305 m/s
              Max. Range : 4000 m
              Remarks : Russian bronze light gun shipped in 1877-78; it seems that in 1906 Bulgarian Army had 60 light guns of Russian and Turkish origin (including the 9 pdrs guns described above).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MCP; 30-09-2005, 19:01. Причина: added images

Comment

Old pattern ex Turkish light guns

Gun model : Krupp 9cm M. 1873
                Calibre : 88mm L/22.6
                Weight : 361.8 kg
                Weight with breech mechanism : 394 kg
                Weight in action : 1000 kg
                Tube Lenght : 2.035 m
                Shell Weight : 6.7 kg
                Case shot Weight : 5 kg
                Shrapnel Weight : 6.7 kg
                Muzzle Velocity : 442 m/s *
                Max. Range : 6500/6600 m *
                Elevation : + 18° / - 15° *
                Remarks :Turkish steel gun captured in 1877-78. Introduced in 1874 as 9cm schwere Kanone C/73, it was assigned to the field artillery batteries and remained in service with Fussartillerie (foot artillery) until the end of first World War. It was modernised twice: in 1888 by lightening the tube because of less offensive smokeless powder; in 1891 by the use of nikel steel for the tubes.
                * I'm not sure wether these technical datas are correct.

Gun model : Krupp 8cm M. 1873
                Calibre : 78.5mm L/20
                Weight : 300 kg
                Weight with breech mechanism : 330 kg
                Weight in action : 750 kg
                Tube Lenght : 1.570 m
                Shell Weight : 4.2 kg
                Case shot Weight : 3.5 kg
                Shrapnel Weight : 4.7 kg
                Muzzle Velocity :
                Max. Range :
                Elevation :
                Remarks : Turkish steel gun captured in 1877-78. Introduced in German Army in 1874 as 8cm leichte Kanone C/73, it was assigned to the horse artillery batteries. It was replaced by the the 9cm Kanone C/73/88.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MCP; 30-09-2005, 18:31. Причина: added pictures

Comment

Coast Artillery

Unfortunately I was not able to find adequate informations about Bulgarian coast artillery. So I only list here what I could know, hoping that anybody add what is missing in my account.
                  In 1888 Bulgarian Danube Flottilla received by Russian Army five 65mm guns (I think they were built by Schneider, since this is a typical French calibre, often used in ships armed with Schneider guns).
                  In 1897 Bulgarian Black Sea Fleet obtained two 240mm L/45 Schneider guns, that were put at Evkinograd in order to defend the prince’s palace there and to protect the Varna bay from ennemy fleets’ raids.
                  At the beginning AFIK Bulgarian coast artillery had only these seven guns to defends the coastline. Since Turkish fleet had the full controll of Black Sea, coastal defences were reinforced with 13 batteries delivered from the Shumen (2nd) and Vidin (3rd) fortress battalions.
                  In order to increase the defences of Varna Bay the two 100mm guns of torpedo gunboad Nadezhda were removed from the ship and given to coast artillery, but in November 1912 they were mounted on the ship again.
                  During the war Turkish Navy made some raid along Bulgarian coastline, shelling the ports and sometimes landing little detachments, that were always easily repelled. The liberation of Thracia caused a lot of problem to Bulgaria, since it had to defend the Aegean Sea coastline, even if it had not even a little ship there. Turkish Fleet tried to take advantage of its superiority landing X Provisional Corps (31st and 32nd Infantry Division with 15.000 rifles, 16 machine guns and 48 guns) at Sarkoi in order to overtake Bulgarian 4th Army deployed in the Gallipoli peninsula. This amphibious invasion failed thanks to the reaction of Macedonia and Odrin Volunteer Corps (February 8 and 9, 1913).
                  At the end of the war Dedeagach and Portolago harbours were defended with a little group of 120mm and 150mm guns from fortress artillery.
                  At the outbreak of the World War the of Bulgarian coast artillery was not better than in 1912. It is very unlikely that in 1912-15 Bulgaria could obtain new coast guns, so in order to defend the Black Sea and the Aegean coastlines there were only about twenty guns, most of them coming from fortress artillery. Consequently two 100mm guns of torpedo gunboad Nadezhda were removed from the ship. I don’t know where they were placed, but during the war there was a battery of two 100mm guns at Balchik. I don’t know wether they were the guns from Nadezhda or there were other 100mm guns in service with Bulgarian Artillery at that time.
                  During the war German Army delivered some 254mm and 152mm Russian guns and in 1916 Burgas was reinforced by a new battery and Varna by two new batteries. In mid 1916 Bulgarian Navy obtained also four 87mm improvised anti-aircraft guns.
                  In 1918 most of the 312 guns of Bulgarian 4th Army were used for coast defence (according with Stefan Noikov, Belomorska otbrana alone had 97 guns). 4th Army used also some guns captured in Greek Thracian fortress.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MCP; 12-10-2005, 21:47. Причина: Added pictures

Comment

Cartridges of Schneider guns

Congratulations for this exellent theme! :tup:

I have few questions/remarks. :sm186:

First, do you have dimensions of cartridge shells for Schneider-Creuzot guns?
                    (My information is that Bulgarian & Serbian guns used the same ammo, but the shells for Greek ones was somewhat longer, making them unusable in former two. Considering these were commercial guns, I doubt that any of them use French Mle.97's 75mm X 350R cases). Of course, complete list of cartige shells for Schneider, Krupp & Skoda guns will be most welcomed. (I already have data for Russian guns)

Second, what about "infantry guns"? Did Bulgarian Army captured/used any 37 mm infantry guns: French Mle.16, wierd Russian M.14 Obuhov or more practical M.15 Rosenberg, or got some M.16 Skoda from Austrians? (Photos of the first & last also needed).

Third, once again about "Schneider 105 mm howitzer for Bulgaria". I found an article about French authoritatives considering adopting 105 mm light howitzer for their divisional artillery (as Germans done) few years before World War I, "similar to model for Bulgaria". This information leads to the conclusion that Bulgaria had some French-made 105 mm howitzers. I beleive this is just a case of mis-quotation; what makes sense is following: "French considered adopting a 105 mm version of howitzer made for Bulgaria" (this was, of course, calibre 120 mm)

Comment

Thanks for your consideration of my work.

Unfortunately I have not all the answers. But I try to tell what I know.

First.
                      AFIK Bulgarian Army did not use the standard French cartridge shells but I have not precise and detailed about the ammunitions used by B.A. This summer I was in French and I went also to Schneider Museum in Creuzot, but I was not able to find the information I need (unfortunately my stay there was very brief). I can attach the information I have about ammunition of B.A. in 1912. You can find some interesting informations about this topic also in pages 82-83 (post 25) of Russian Intelligence Report about B.A. in 1914 (УНИКАЛНА КНИГА ЗА БЪЛГАРСКАТА АРМИЯ В 1914).

Second.
                      Till now I found no evidence of an use of such Infantry guns by B.A. As for Austrian Infantry guns I'm almost sure that B.A. did not received any of them, since they are not listed in a list of artillery weapons (unfortunately without the number of guns sent) sent by Austrians during WW1. But I'm always studying this topic and looking for new informations about.
                      About the photos, I'm not sure what you are looking for. Are they French Mle.16 and M.16 Skoda?

Third.
                      Your hypothesis is really interesting and may explain such vexed issue.
                      Recently I read that in 1907 when Bulgarian Army decided to buy field howitzers in France, it was in doubt wether buy light 105mm howitzers or more powerfull, but also more heavy and less easy to handly, 120mm ones.
                      As everybody knows, at least B.A. adopted the 120mm howitzers. I was not able to know the main features of the Schneider 105mm howitzers tested by Bulgarians.

Best.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Shell crisis

First - thanks for a tip. I'll examine this information cerefully.

Second - both photos are desired, but if these are off-topic, never mind.

Third - considering the fact that Bulgaria didn't place orders for modern medium howitzers (150-155 mm) before 1912, it's not difficult to comprehend why bigger caliber (120 mm) was chosen for light howitzers.

New issue: Every review of artillery in World War One deals with enormous expenditure of ammounition. Each army involved had their own "Shell crisis", often for a long period of time. What happened with Bulgarian Artillery - I doubt that Bulgarians went to war 1915 with full stock of ammo (lot of ammo was spent during 1912/13, and new supply in 1914 was near to impossible). Did Bulgaria possess some domestic production of artillery ammo? (And how much was production rate?) One source (see Chapter II of http://www.gwpda.org/memoir/Salonica/salon1.htm#c2) give account of Bulgarian artillery ammo problems as early as November 1915. Germans & Austrians later supplied Bulgaria with both their guns and ammo (Germany was probably used as a source for captured Turkish, Rumanian, even Russian guns), but how the problem was solved for considerable number of Schneider batteries?

Comment

French and Austrian Infantry Guns

Even if off topic, I add the photoes of Austrian and French Infantry guns.
                          I hope I will be forgive for this.

Gun model : Hotchkiss 37mm Mle. 1916
                          Calibre : 37mm L/21.6
                          Weight in Action: 108 kg
                          Tube Lenght : 0,80 m
                          Shell Weight : 0,56 kg
                          Muzzle Velocity : 363 m/s
                          Max. Range : 2400 m
                          Elevation : + 21° / ?
                          Traversing angle : 40°

Gun model : Skoda 37mm M. 15
                          Calibre : 37mm
                          Weight in Action: 81 kg
                          Muzzle Velocity : 363 m/s
                          Elevation : + 17° / - 8°
                          Traversing angle : 33°
                          Attached Files

Comment

One grateful reader

WOW, great! :tup:

Btw, there are TWO different French models on pictures - on the left is classic Puteaux Mle.16,
                            and the crude-looking one (on the right) is complete mystery for me.

My data for French Mle.16 gun:
                            Elevation: -8° to 17°;
                            Muzzle velocity: 324 to 388 m/s, depending on shell type;
                            Range: 2400 m;
                            Traverse: 35°;
                            Weight in combat: 108 kg; (mount 68 kg, ordnance 40 kg)
                            Weight during transport: 160.5 kg;
                            Shield: 6 mm (not always fitted);
                            Number of groves in barrel: 12;
                            Shell types:
                            - casted HE shell: .665 kg (propellant: .325 kg), 388 m/s;
                            - steel HE shell: .76 kg (propellant: .3 kg), 324 m/s;
                            - armour-piercing: .72 kg (propellant: .32 kg), 367 m/s;
                            - canister shell: data N/A;

For Skoda M.15 Infantry gun:
                            Elevation: -?° to 37°;
                            Number of groves in barrel: 8;
                            Shield: 4 mm;
                            Range: 2200 m;
                            Weight of mount: 45 kg;
                            Shell types:
                            - HE shell: .75 kg, 175 m/s; ( )
                            - canister: data N/A;
                            - star-shell: Wt .21 kg;

Comment

First, may I say thank you for giving us such a good source of information. I am new to the forum and hope that you will continue to offer such high quality posts as the ones I have seen so far.

I have a question, if you don't mind, about one of the photos in post number 98, of a coastal gun at Kavalla. If possible, can you say anything about the picture, such as the date?

I am trying to find out anything I can about the capture of the forts around Kavalla, including (a) was the Allied naval bombardment effective against the occupying Bulgarian force and (b) what happened to the guns? Plus anything else about the occupation of these forts from the Bulgarian point of view.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Thank you

Comment

Coast guns

brd написа
                                First, may I say thank you for giving us such a good source of information. I am new to the forum and hope that you will continue to offer such high quality posts as the ones I have seen so far.

I have a question, if you don't mind, about one of the photos in post number 98, of a coastal gun at Kavalla. If possible, can you say anything about the picture, such as the date?

I am trying to find out anything I can about the capture of the forts around Kavalla, including (a) was the Allied naval bombardment effective against the occupying Bulgarian force and (b) what happened to the guns? Plus anything else about the occupation of these forts from the Bulgarian point of view.

Many thanks,

Bruce

Thank you

Unfortunately I have not many informations about Bulgarian Coast artillery, expecially about what was deployed on Aegean sea coast.
                                As for the picture in post 98, come from Бойните на България, Sofia, Balkani Publishing, p. 71. It is a collection of photoes with only a few lines of text. As fot this photo, the text says only "Aegean coast gun of Kavala Sector", the source is "Aegean historic library".

Unfortunately I know nothing about the number, calibre and pattern of the guns used there and about what happened during and after the war.

Comment

Working...
                                X