No announcement yet.

Madsen in Bulgaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Madsen in Bulgaria

I attached an article published by "The New York Times" in 1915 about a Swedish ship carrying automatic guns from Danemark to Bulgaria. It affirmed that the rifles were seized by Germans. Fom another source I know that Bulgaria received Madsen machine guns before Bulgaria entered in WW1. Do anybody know anything about? :sm186:

This was one of the first truly reliable light machine guns, and was developed in 1903, long before World War I, so many countries were already using it when the war started. As the Wikipedia article says - "It was sold to 34 nations in a dozen different calibers before and after World War I". Bulgaria was indeed one of these nations, but I couldn't find exact numbers of operational machine guns. However, if you look at this -

you'll see that it was still in operation in 1940-1. Here's a topic on another forum that could be useful -

I hope I've been able to help you

Comment

Many thanks, expecially for the pothoes!

Comment

Several dozens Madsen LMG were delivered in late 20-s (1926 - 20, later unknown).

For before WW1 - never heard of such delivery - I have to check
        We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are
        ---Anais Nin----

Comment

In 1915 the A/A defence had five Madesn MG.
          Moreover iin Germany when the Musketen-Battaillone were disbanded, the Madsen were reissued to the Gebirgs-Maschingewehr-Abteilungen. Well, Germany during WW1 delivered to Bulgaria at least four Gebirgs-Maschingewehr-Abteilungen with weapons and equipments in October 1915. So it is possible that Bulgaria received some Madsen in this way. Do you can identify the uniform of the Bulgarian troops with Madsen MGs? I think that the withe uniforms are post WW1, but there is a picture with uniforms that seems to me of the WW1 era.

Comment

Working...
          X