No announcement yet.

Guns identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Guns identification

Recently I've been working on a project about late 19th century and while researching the artillery development I've found some pics. I was wondering if you guys - Marco, The Edge, Sash etc. could help me identify some of the guns.

Pic1 - Pls note the breeching mechanism. Looks like a horizontal block to me ....so it's a Krupp. But what kind of Krupp? C73?
    Pic2 - De Bange 120mm? or 150?
    Pic3 - mystery? :sm186:
    Pic4 - Is this the same gun as on Pic 5 ? Hotcjkiss 1.65 mountain gun???
    Recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvqjkS6t9Yk

As for image 1 in Das ehrenbuch der Deutsche Feldartillerie, page 644 this gun is regarded as a 9cm Krupp C/73 used in Dar es Salam. For the other images I need some time.

Comment

Great! Thanks Marco
      Here come some more...
      Pic1 - This is really very interesting. The lads on the pic are some members of reenactment group. Their uniforms clearly look like brittish but the gun is noted as 52mm Krupp mountain gun??? :sm186: Marco could you check the book you just cited? Thanks in advance.
      Pic2 - Mountain gun. Maybe Austrian 37mm.? Or Italian?
      Pic 3 & 4 show the same gun. I think it's De Bange system. Maybe 80mm horse artillery? Or 90mm - the standard french field gun before teh advent of the 75mm QF gun?
      Pic 5 - This is from WW1. Some large caliber obsolete gun.

Comment

albireo написа
        Great! Thanks Marco
        Here come some more...
        Pic1 - This is really very interesting. The lads on the pic are some members of reenactment group. Their uniforms clearly look like brittish but the gun is noted as 52mm Krupp mountain gun??? :sm186: Marco could you check the book you just cited? Thanks in advance.
        Pic2 - Mountain gun. Maybe Austrian 37mm.? Or Italian?
        Pic 3 & 4 show the same gun. I think it's De Bange system. Maybe 80mm horse artillery? Or 90mm - the standard french field gun before teh advent of the 75mm QF gun?
        Pic 5 - This is from WW1. Some large caliber obsolete gun.
        Pic 1 : :sm186: Only an hypothesis: a 57mm Nordenfeld gun?

Pic 2 : Austrian 7cm Gebirgskanone M. 99 [72.5mm L/13.8]

Pic 3-4 : it seems really a 90mm De Bange gun, but the wheeles are very strange and seem different from every picture I have of this guns. It seems also too smaal for 90cm gun. But I may make a mistake. I’m quite sure that it is not an 80mm De Bange mountain or field gun. Can you tell me where is this gun ?

Pic 5 : even if it may be strange, I’m not expert of Italian guns. However this seems a "cannone da 149 A [149/35] con ruote a cingolo Bonagente" (149.1mm L/36.6 gun with tracked wheeles model Bonagente). A means “Acciaio” = steel or “Armstrong”.

Comment

albireo написа
          Recently I've been working on a project about late 19th century and while researching the artillery development I've found some pics. I was wondering if you guys - Marco, The Edge, Sash etc. could help me identify some of the guns.

Pic1 - Pls note the breeching mechanism. Looks like a horizontal block to me ....so it's a Krupp. But what kind of Krupp? C73?
          Pic2 - De Bange 120mm? or 150?
          Pic3 - mystery? :sm186:
          Pic4 - Is this the same gun as on Pic 5 ? Hotcjkiss 1.65 mountain gun???
          Pic 2 : according with A.CURAMI-A.MASSIGNANI, L'artiglieria italiana nella grande guerra, page 113 it is a 155mm Long M 1877 system De Bange used by Italian 1st Army [155mm L/27.1]. This book is usually very accurate.

Pic 4-5 : what is "Hotchkiss 1.65 mountain gun"?
          Last edited by MCP; 15-05-2006, 20:13.

Comment

Marco I mean the Hotchkiss 1'65 inch mountain gun used by the USA against the Spanish in Cuba. IMO Pic 4 & 5 of my first post show exactly this gun - note the shape and the length of the barrel and also the gun carriage. I just needed confirmation.
            As for the pics on my second post - I really don't have a clue where the De bange gun stands...My thought was it's a 80mm used as a horse artillery gun - because of the wheels and the carriage. And the first pic - pure mystery...

Comment

albireo написа
              Marco I mean the Hotchkiss 1'65 inch mountain gun used by the USA against the Spanish in Cuba.
              Of course, I don't understand how I could not remember that gun!

Late 19th century artillery is a very interesting topic for me. Let me know something about your research!

Comment

About this small mystery gun (pic 1, series II).

I believe this is British "7pdr, 200lb, RML" gun (Mk.IV steel gun from 1873).
                This was standard British light colonial gun (also mountain artillery) in South Africa, used in Zulu and two Boer Wars (in last war only sporadicaly, because of introduction of new 2.5-inch "Screw-gun").

Two photos to compare (on light and mountain carriages).

Other option - for same gun - is more interesting:

In 1874., President Burgers of Transvaal Republic (one of three Boer states in South Africa) bought four "Krupp 5cm mountain guns". These were new, state-of-art steel BL guns, first modern ones in Transvaal. But, in 1877, British annexed Transvaal and capture these guns - they later used them as "4pdr Krupp RBL" guns in defence of Pretoria during First Boer War. (Maybe one or two are still preserved?).

Next two photos (to compare) are Krupp model:
                Last edited by The Edge; 19-05-2006, 01:23. Причина: Автоматично сливане на двойно мнение

Comment

Working...
                X