No announcement yet.

Basic Informations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Basic Informations

Sorry, maybe my questions were simple, but it is very difficult to have some info from France about Balkan wars, french books on this were written in 1913-1914, and nothing since..... :o

First, want to have some things about the campaign plan of 1912 : I heard that everybody think that bulgarian should pass by the maritza, whereas in fact, 2 armies pass by moutain on Nord-East of Andrinople : is it true ?

Second, did you have o good Kirk-kilisse battle map, and some info about the battle ?

Third : a question about infantry division : 2 or 3 brigades ? Some books speak of 2, but others of 3, the third is a reserve brigade created during the mobilisation ? did it remains till 1918 ?

Fourth : battle order of september 1918 : i am not very confident with the Osprey books "balkans armies" because his 3rd Div, the one of Dobropolje is false : from french books, I have a 3rd Div with his 2nd Bde and the 1st Bde/8e DI. So, I can accept the battle order if this one is not true !!! What about the others ????
    I have a list of the regiment in reserve at this time, with locations :
    -72e rgt (Cerna)
    -16, 81, 53 rgt (Prilep)
    -13 jдger-btn (Veles)
    -49 rgt (Negotino)
    -21, 60, 61 rgt (Guevgeli)
    -4, 39, 73 rgt (Doiran)
    -14 rgt (Strumica)
    -87 + 4 cavalry rgts (Struma). Did every regiment have a division, or some have no organic divisions???

Last : What about heavy artillery in 1918 ? in division ? independant units ?

thanks
    Merci d'avance ! :tup:
    Crapouillot from France :rock:

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
    On your questions:
    1. Indeed, is was expected before Balkan war started, that mainstream Bulgarian attack will be directed along the both banks of river Maritza. Ottaman army HQ expected Bulgarian 1st and 2nd Armies to be in this frontal assault, whereas the Third army was expected to operate in Macedonia alongside the Serbs, or to be left in Northeastern Bulgaria to guard Rumanian border, and numerous Muslim population in the region. Thus expecting to stop Bulgarian attack on the forts of Adrianople with its 4th Army Corps, the bulk of Ottoman army was directed to outflank Bulgarian left flank between rivers Maritza and Tundza. However by 1912 Bulgarian warplan had already been changed. While 2nd army was to blockade Adrianople and to try to cut it off main Ottoman forces, 1st Army was to advance east of Tundza River and to attack frontally Adrianople-Lozengrad (Kyrklise) line, trying to attain the three Ottoman corps. 3rd Army had to be moved secretly behind 1st and to attack and outflank Ottoman right flank through seemengly unpassable Strandza Mountain. Once the war started on 5th October 1912, both sides began moving towards each other, Ottomans completely unaware of the very existance of Bulgarian 3rd Army.
    1st Bulgarian army (commander liet.-general Kutintchev) comprised 1st Infantry Sofia division (16 batallions, 16 mashine-guns and 60 canons ), 3rd Balkan division (24 batallions, 16 mashine-guns and 60 canons ), 10th Infantry division (16 batallions, 16 mashine-guns and 48 canons), 10th Cavalry regiment (3 squadrons); in total 1st army had around 79 000 men (54 000 combat personell), 48 mashine-guns amd 168 pieces of artillery.
    3rd Bulgarian army (commander liet.-general Dimitriev):
    4th Infantry Preslav Division (24 batallions, 24 mashine-guns and 72 canons ), 5th Inf. Danube Division (24 batallions, 24 mashine-guns and 70 canons). 6th Inf. Bdin Division (16 batallions, 16 mashine-guns and 36 canons). Attached to the 3rd Army were 3 Haubitzer batteries and 3 mountain art. batteries. In total: 95 000 men (66 000 combatants), 64 mashine-guns, 202 pieces of artillery.
    Separatly (and ineffectively!) was operating the Cavalry Division of general Nazlamov: (15 squadrons, 2 200 men and 12 mashine-guns).
    These numbers are taken from the Official History of the Balkan war of the bulgarian general staff, vol.2 (ed. 1928)
    Ottoman forces (from the vol.1 and 2 of the official book of Ottoman general staff - "Balkan harby-Trakija seferi"):
    1st Corps (1,2,3 Inf.divisions:27 battalions, 48 canons, 24 mashine-guns)
    2nd corps(4,5 Inf.divisions: 20 battallions, 48 canons,12 mashine-guns)
    3rd Corps (7,8,9 Inf.div, Afionkarahissar rediff (res.) division: 36 battalions, 100 canons, 28 mashine-guns)
    4th Corps (12 Inf. div, Izmid res.division:20 battallions, 36 canons, 4 mashine-guns)
    "Edirne mobile group" (part of Adrianople garrison, that took part in Kyrklise battle): 10,11 Inf. div, 1st combined res.div.: 26 battallions, 40 canons, 20 mashine-guns)

The actual battle began on 9th of October with a series of inexpected frontal engagements between 1st Bulgarian Army and parts of 1st and 2nd Ottoman corps. With concentrated artillery barage and frontal bayonette attacks, 1st and 4th Inf divisions of Bulgarian army inflicted heavy defeats on the enemy at Gechkenly, Eskipolos and Seliolu. At the same time Bulgarian 3rd Inf division manage to hold down the advance of the Edirne mobile group and on 10th Oct. with the help of a brigade from 10th Inf.Div. to counterattack and defeat them at Kaipa and Muratchala, thus securing the Bulgarian right flank. On the same day of 9th Oct. 3rd Ottoman Corps was moved from Kyrklise(Lozengrad) nortwestwards to help 1, 2 and 4th Corps by outflanking advancing Bulgarian 1st Army. But his divisions came under attack from northeast from the advancing Bulgarian 5th and 6 Divisions, that attacked inexpectadly Ottoman right flank and completely destroyed 3rd Corps in bloody frontal battles at Petra and Erikler. The routed 3rd Corps began a panic retreat, leavind Lozengrad with no protection. Soon the other three corps followed and the whole Ottoman Eastern Army began a quite unorganized retreat towards Babeski and Luleburgas rushing to the reinforcements that were coming from Asia Minor (16th and 17th Army Corps). On the morning of 11th Oct. Bulgarian 5th Division entered unoposed deserted Kyrklise (lozengrad) only to be stopped by the order from Supreme HQ. Ottoman army was thus given 3 whole days to organise new defensive line along the river Karagach on Lulebirgas-Bunarhissar line. It was a heavy and unforgiveble mistake by the Bulgarian Chief of staff -general Fichev!
    It total in this battle Bulgarian 1st and 3rd Armies lost around 900 killed and 2500 wounded. Ottoman loses were estimated at 1500 killed, 3200 taken prisoners and aroun 4000 wounded.
    Just recently an interesting book was published both in Bulgarian and English: "Balkan war 1912-13" by Aleksander Vychkov. Maybe you could find it at some of internet sites, where military history books are sold. It has about 180 pages, shows details on uniforms, weapons, covers comprehensively the operations and has good maps.

On your second question:
    IN the wars of 1912-1918 a Bulgarian Inf.division would generally have three Inf. brigades.
    According to the pre-1908 plans Bulgarian army(which had in peacetime 9 Inf.divisions of two Brigades each, each brigade comprising two inf regiments, of two battallions each: in total 9 Divisions, 18 brigades, 36 regiments, 72 battallions) had to expand in double, which means that at mobilisation every regiment created a brigade, every brigade - a division, every division - an Army Corps. It was thus expected to have 9 Corps, 18 Divisions, 36 brigades and 72 regiments of 4 battalions each. These were huge numbers! And it soon was made clear that this organisation was far beyond the possibilities of a country like Bulgaria. So in 1908 new wartime organisation was created- based on "3-brigade=a division" rule. So In 1912 the army went to the war with divisions, each of which had three brigades of two regiments, an artillery regiment of 9 batteries of quick-firing Shneider 75-mm canons (4 per battery), an artillery regiment of 6 batteries of notquick-firing older 75-mm and 87-mm canons (6 per battery). Heavy and mountain artillery was operated on army level and was attached per case at Armies and divisions. Now, this was the rule. In Balkan wars however another, 10th Inf.div. was created, comprising a brigade from each 1st and 6th Inf.div., so 1st, 6th and 10th Inf.div. had during both Balkan wars two brigades each (later 9th Inf.div was also reduced to two Brigades).
    During ww1 the same structure remained, Bulgarian army being the only one, alongside the Belgian, entering the war with 3-brig. per division organisation. Only diffrences with the Balkan wars were that the third brigades (reserve ones) had only three battalions per regiment, while the forty regular regiments had 4, and each division had an Art.Brigade of two art.regiments of 6 batteries each with a mountain art.division of 3 batteries attached.
    Heavy artillery of which there were three Haubitzer regiments and further in 1918, 5 heavy artillery regiments, was distributed at Army level.
    At Mobilization in 1915, Bulgarian army had 10 Inf. divisions (N:1-10), 1 to 9th had three Brigades (6 regiments), 10th had only two(4 regiments). In total there were 58 Inf.regiments, of which N: 1-40 had 4 battallions, N: 41-58 (they were reserve regiments created at mobilisation) had three battallions each. Later in October 1915 another, 11th Inf.division was created, with 6 regiments of 3 battallions each, consisting of 34 000 Bulgarian emigrants from Macedonia. These regiments were given numbers 59-64. In 1917 the Mountain Inf.division was created with 4 regiments (N:65-68). At the same time the Marshregiments, which in December 1915 were combined in the 12th Inf.division, were given numbers 69-73. In 1917 at last "three battallions per regiment" rule was instituted and from the forth battalions another 7 Inf. regiments were created (N:80-86). At last in early 1918 two of the "Opolchenie"(landsturm) regiments were given numbers 87 and 88 and went to the frontline. So at the end of the war Bulgarian army had in total 82 acting Inf.regiments.

On your last question - indeed 1st Brigade of the 8th Inf.division was included in the frontline formation of 3rd Inf.division. The regiments of this Brigade (10th Rodopean and 30th Sheinovo) were placed between the flanks of 2nd and 3rd Divisions and were keeping the Sokol-Dobropole sector. They were the ones that took the heaviest brunt of the Allied offensive on 14-15th September 1918. 10th Inf.regiment resisted for a whole day attacks of the whole 122nd French Inf.Div. and lost 2200 of its 3000 men in the battle. Later Fieldmarshall D'Esperray said to one of the parlamentarians of Bulgarian delegation on the Armistice (Simeon Radev): "I must admitt that men from your 10th and 30th regiments fought bravely. We had terrible difficulties getting rid of them". These both regiments were practically annihilated.

With best wishes
    Nikolay
    Last edited by Николай; 06-05-2005, 18:44.

Comment

Thank you very much !!!!! :nworthy:
      With that I will do great progress....
      Don't know the books, just another from Ottoman side "Defeat in details". As i say, french books were written in 1913-14, mostly by journalist, with no accurate details, and with great errors.
      My info for Dobropolje came from french Louis Cordier "Victoire éclair en Orient", the greatest about that with a very impressive bibliography in french, german and bulgarian !!!

Maybe can i demand some other help....yes, i was very curious, but what about the Kresna gorge in 1913 ? I have see that the Greek Аrmy was practicaly encercled !!! I can find nothing about that, even in the newspaper of the time like "L'Illustration" :o The same for the victory on Serbian in Kalimantsi... Maybe the censorship was very heavy, or the conclusion of the war unfavourable for Bulgaria hide this victories ? :sm186:

Merci Beaucoup Nicolay ! :tup:
      Crapouillot

Comment

Two more questions

Since this is a generic thread and since Nikolaj is an old friend who helped me a lot before I discovered this Forum, I add two question:
        1. in a thread about Balkan Wars in Bulgarian, there is a detailed description of the origin of Infantry Regiments 55-72 in 1912-13. Unfortunately my knowledge of your language is very poor so I did not understand how Inf.Rgts. 55-58 were formed (if a 58th Inf.Rgt. was formed, I am not sure of it?
        2. In 1915 Macedonian Division was a true Division (with Cavalry, artillery and Pioneer attached)? Reading some sources it seems that there are three brigades almost indipendent (like MOO in 1912-13).

Thanks

Comment

Kresna gorge

According Bulgarian sources

Although 2nd Bulgarian Army had lost the strategic initiative after the battle of Kilkis, it opposed a strong resistence to the advancing ennemy. The retreat of Bulgarians put the Greeks in a rather unfavorable situation: for its main forces were speared deep into the Kresna valley, while its extended flanks had lagged behind. Therefore the Bulgarian command planned a counter-offensive to encircle Greek detachments that had penetrated deep into the valley: for this purpose, it strenghtened the Second Army establishing three army formations by July 27.
          The ratio between the two sides reached 1.3:1 in infantry battalions, 1.1:1 in artillery in favor of the Bulgarians. The right-hand Bulgarian formation, consisting of the 2nd Trakiska and 6th Bdinska Infantry Divisions and the 1st Brigade of the 10th Sborna Division was given the task of advancing toward Pehchevo-Breznitsa, thus preventing a Greek withdrawal to Pehchevo-Strumitsa: to reach the Struma river valley, and, together with the left-hand formation, to close the circle around the Greek troops. The central Bulgarian formation - 3rd Balkanska Division less its the 1st Brigade of the 10th Sborna Division and the Dramska and Serska Brigades - had to pin the Greeks down along the front by active defensive operations: to slow their retreat, and to create favorable conditions for Bulgarian formations operating at the flanks. The left-hand Bulgarian formation - Samokov and West Rhodope Detachments - had to defeat the Greek troops in the area of Razlog, advance through the Predela to Simuli and Krupnik, and come out in the Struma Valley, cutting off its retreat route.
          The left flank Bulgarian formation began its advance on July 27, and reached the Predela in three days of combat, on July 30, it repulsed the Greek 6th and 7th Infantry Divisons' counterblow. The right hand formation went on the offensive on July 28, its right flank achieved a spearhead 16-18 km deep, and reached the Pehchevo-Negrovo-Mount Zanoga line. The central formation carried out successful defensive battles on July 28 and 29, took the offensive on July 30, forcing the Greek army to withdraw. Until then military operations went in Bulgaria's favor, but on the eve of the decisive advance (July 31) it was cancelled owing to the ceasefire signed in Bucharest.

According Greek sources
          Although 2nd Bulgarian Army had lost the strategic initiative after the battle of Kilkis, it opposed a strong resistence to the advancing ennemy. Thus, when, advancing through the Struma valley, the bulk of the Greek Army reached the front the natural stronghold at the narrow pass of Kresna on 21 July, it faced new stiff Bulgarian resistance. After a bloody three-day battle (22-24 July), Greek forces managed to work their way through the pass forward to Simitli (25-27 July) and continued toward Dzumaja, where Bulgarians had already taken up positions. At the same time, other forces moving on the Hellenic Army's flanks in the Bregalnitsa and Nestos valleys, occupied Petsovo on the left, and Mahomia on the right.
          Further Greek advance took place almost without artillery support, for the Kresna Pass did not permit the advance of guns. In addition, supply was rendered rather difficult and shortages of ammunition began to appear in infantry units. In spite of this, GreekGeneral Headquarters was determined to continue its attack against the position of Dzumaja, so that it could deliver a final blow to the enemy. For this action, headquarters counted on a similar and simultaneous Serbian action on their own front against the Bulgarians; but this did not happen.
          The Bulgarians, taking advantage of Serbian inactivity, concentrated forces and, on 28 July, launched a counteroffensive against two Hellenic flanks at Petsovo and Mahomia. Obstinate and heary combat followed, lasting until the afternoon, 30 July, when an armistice was concluded, without the Bulgarians having gained any particular advantage.

I have a good map of the battle, but I'm not able to find it. :sm186: As soon as I find it, I'll attach it.

Comment

Ciao, amico

Bulgarian army went to war in 1912 with a total of 54 infantry regiments. Of them there were 36 regular and 18 reserve. Everyone of the regular 36 left a so-called "dopylnjawashta druzhina" (an equivalent of Marshbatallions in German and Austrian army). Each had about 1200-1300 reservists left after mobilisation of regular and reserve regiments. Immediatly after beginning of war, these marshbattallions left their peacetime garrizons (after leaving cadre for the new "dopylnjawashta druzhina" of 1912 and 1913 drafts) and most of them went as occupiyng foces for Macedonia and Thrace. 12 of them went to Adrianople when in Oktober 1912 it was decided to group them in 3 new inf.regiments plus four opolchenie battallions. So in total out of these 16 battallions 11th Inf.division was created with 4 Inf.regiments N:55-58. 55th, 56th and 57th were created out of the 12 Marshbattalions, while 58th was created uot of the 1st,6th,25th and 26th Opolchenie battallions.

11th Macedonian division was regarded as quite normal (well, wartime) battle formation. It did received an artillery regiment, as well, although, it arrived later in campaign in Macedonia. It also had small pioneer detachment (a company I believe), and later 11th Cavalry divisional squadron was formed as well. The division was indeed organised hastily and with a lot of improvisation, which one could expect in wartime.

Best wishes
            Last edited by Николай; 08-05-2005, 16:50.

Comment

Thanks once more! :tup:

Comment

Frontier guards

I have another question.
                What was the organization about frontier guards in Bulgarian army in 1912-13 and 1915-18? I read something in Russian book posted by трудовак, but some points are not clear.
                First, some sources consider them a sort of gendarmerie, while others present them like a regular infantry; some speak of compagnies and others of battalions (according with BAJ MACARIO, Balcani 1912-1913, both 2nd Trakiska and 7th Rilska Infantry Division had two frontier guards battalions in 1912, at the beginning of the war against Turkey).
                Second, frontier guards battalions/compagnies did remain indipendent units during the whole war - like Italian guardia di finanza - or did they merged in regular infantry regiments?
                Third, what is the correct name of these units in Bulgarian? Italian sources call them granicari, but I think that this is not correct.
                Thanks.

Comment

MCP написа
                  I have another question.
                  What was the organization about frontier guards in Bulgarian army in 1912-13 and 1915-18? I read something in Russian book posted by трудовак, but some points are not clear.
                  First, some sources consider them a sort of gendarmerie, while others present them like a regular infantry; some speak of compagnies and others of battalions (according with BAJ MACARIO, Balcani 1912-1913, both 2nd Trakiska and 7th Rilska Infantry Division had two frontier guards battalions in 1912, at the beginning of the war against Turkey).
                  Second, frontier guards battalions/compagnies did remain indipendent units during the whole war - like Italian guardia di finanza - or did they merged in regular infantry regiments?
                  Third, what is the correct name of these units in Bulgarian? Italian sources call them granicari, but I think that this is not correct.
                  Thanks.
                  In peacetime after 1908 every of the 16 Bulgarian infantry regiments (out of total of 36), whose area of conscription had an external border had a part of borderline to guard. So everyone of these 16 regiments had a separate border company - "pogranichna rota", numbered separately 1-16, composed of 8 half-platoons, 1 per each company of the regiment (in peacetime every regiment had 2 battalions of 4 companies each). These border companies had an asigned comander, but every 6 months half of their personell was changed, by another half-platoon of the same company. In this way every Bulgarian infantryman, serving in one of the 16 "border"Infantry regiments was expected to serve 1/4 of its 2-year military service in the border company of the regiment. As you see the 16 border companies were ordinary infantry troops.
                  In the event of mobilisation those of them serving on a border with a possible enemy expanded into border battalions - "pogranichna druzhina" by encreasing its force with reservists from the near- to- the- border area. In 1912 border companies NN 2-10 (covering the Turkish border and Blackseacoast) expanded into Border battalions, while numbers 1,11-16(covering Serbian and Romanian border) remained at company size. During the war border battalions operated independently within Inf. divisions or performing separate tasks.
                  After 1913 with the creation of 4 more Inf.regiments (NN 37-40), 4 more border companies were created on the same pattern. Thus total number at 1 October 1915 was 20. At the mobilisation all of them expanded into battalions with the exception of NN 11-13, covering Turkish border (Ottoman empire was now an ally). These 17 battalions operated separately in the beginning but later were either merged in the existing regiments (mostly in the 1st,4th and 7th Inf.Divisions) or were included in the creation of Inf.regiments NN 80 to 86.
                  Hope this sheds some light.

With best regards
                  Nikolay

Comment

Nikolay, I thank you too! Thanks and for MCP for his question!

But i think, why is needed to discuss these interesting facts, only in English? (This is to Nikolay )
                    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

ОТТУКА ЗАПОЧВА РОДИНАТА -
                    СЪС ГРОБ НА НЕЗНАЕН ЮНАК,
                    НАД КОЙТО СМЪРТТА Е ПРЕМИНАЛА,
                    СМЪРТТА НЕ И ВРАЖИЯ КРАК.

Comment

Thanks Nikolay, you are perfect, as usually. :tup:
                      I'm always sure I can rely on your great knowledge of Bulgarian Army.

Comment

Neonix написа
                        Nikolay, I thank you too! Thanks and for MCP for his question!

But i think, why is needed to discuss these interesting facts, only in English? (This is to Nikolay )

Unfortunately interesting facts like this are often discuss in Bulgarian and I'm not always able to understand everything. :wall:

Comment

Excuse me, but I have another little question (I'm trying to fill all the gaps I have in my knowledge of Bulgarian Army in WW1).
                          During WW1 had Bulgarian Army any assault battalion or company, like German Sturmtruppen or Italian Arditi? Till now I could not have a convincing answer.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Yes, we also had stormtroops, but I'm not sure whether these were always ad-hoc formations or acquired at some point regular status. Will add this question to the long list of "to do" things
                            We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are
                            ---Anais Nin----

Comment

MCP написа
                              Excuse me, but I have another little question (I'm trying to fill all the gaps I have in my knowledge of Bulgarian Army in WW1).
                              During WW1 had Bulgarian Army any assault battalion or company, like German Sturmtruppen or Italian Arditi? Till now I could not have a convincing answer.
                              Thanks.
                              Answering to a question made by myself :nut: , I found that German "Sturm-Battalion Nr. 5 also trained 1 Bulgarian assault battalion which in turn trained Bulgarian and Turkish soldiers". No more.

Comment

Working...
                              X