Съобщение

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulgarian Army of interwar period (1920-1939)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Bulgarian Army of interwar period (1920-1939)

Hello, friends!
    I am trying to find quite complete information about organization and equipment of Bulgarian Army of interwar period. So this is the best place to do it, as me seems.

Unfortunately, there are a very few sources in literature and Internet about preWWII Bulgarian Army....

I already found some info with the help of Dibo (you, probably, know him) and posted it at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=66767.

Unfortunately, some questions remain still unclear.
    For example, the information about Bulgaria navy. Could somebody help me? Below is my post from axishistory forum.

>So as I understand the Bulgarian Navy (HQ at Sofia) during interwar period (1920-1939) had following ships.

Black Sea flotilia, Varna port - torpedoboat squadron (with torpedo depot, ordnance depot, 1st and 2nd torpedoboat divisions, and gunboat halfdivision) + mine squadron (with minelayer division, 1st and 2nd mine companies, 1st and 2nd minecleaning companies)
    1. 4 old torpedo-boats ("Drski", "Khrabry", "Smely" and "Strogi"; built in France for Bulgaria in 1907/1908, used till the end of WWII) - 1st torpedoboat division.
    2. vessel "Kaliakra" (unknown specifications and purpose, help needed)
    3. 2 motor torpedo-boats of S-boat design (No. 1 (F-1), No. 2 (F-2); delivered in 1938-1939 from Germany) - 2nd torpedo boat division (in 1941 had also F-3 and F-4)
    4. 6 or 7 winesweepers of mine squadron (4 were "Minior", "Vzriv", "Kapitan-Leitenant Minkov" and "Konduktor Dokuzanov" - previous German mine sweeper boats, unknown armament and later names). What were the others, their specifications?
    5. 2 patrol boats of coast guard (gunboat halfdivision) ("Belomorec", "Chernomorec"; built in USA in 1917/1918 or in 1920? for France, were bought by Bulgaria in 1922), Some sources report that there was also one chasseur (I don't know the type and specifications, probably, the same?)
    6. 4 vedettes "Minior", "Vzriv", "Kapitan-Leitenant Minkov" and "Konduktor Dokuzanov" - built in Canada. I don't know when and their armament?
    7. 2 training sailing-ships (one of them, probably, was "Kamchiya" - former French yacht, built in England in 1882, was bought by Bulgaria in 1906, used as minelayer and hydrographic ship). The name and specifications of another I don't know.....
    8. 14 different merchant ships

Danube flotilia, Ruse port - gunboat halfdivision + mine company + maintenance unit + Danube river police.
    9. 6 contraband chassing rivercrafts (2 torpedo boats "Vasil Levski" and "Hristo Botev", built in Russia in 1877, used until late 1930s + 2 steam boats "Boris" and "Stefan Karadja", since 1933 - "Rakovski" - unknown specifications and year of production, armament.... + 2 motor boats "Rusalka" and "Meteor" - unknown specifications and year of prioduction, armament...

As far as I know, Bulgaria had the shore gendarmerie battalion (6 companies, several MGs) in 1920s-1930s. Were there some another navy shore infantry units in Bulgaria, for example, marines?....

Unfortunately, I couldn't find info about types of guns and organization of coast artillery of Bulgaria, only that coast artillery belonged to the army and consisted of Varna, Burgas and Ruse coast artillery regiments.

I hope that somebody here could help me with my questions, thanks very much in advance,
    BIGpanzer

Does somebody know the total amount (seems to be near 500.000) and the upper age of reservists in Bulgarian Army before WWII (in 1939)? As far as I know Bulgaria had small professional army after WWI, according to the Neuilly Treaty (1919). When did the conscripts appear again in Bulgarian army? Did some reservist's training schools or training centers exist in preWWII Bulgaria?
    Thanks in advance, BIGpanzer

Comment

Bulgarian artillery

Please, help me with the info about types of artillery guns (mortars, cannons, howitzers), used by Bulgarian Army in 1920s-1930s. Also with the description of organization of artillery units in Bulgarian Army during the same period. I couldn't find good materials about that.
      Help, please :wall:

Comment

Hello and welcome.
        Please don't think we are ignoring you. Sometimes it takes a couple days for the right guys to see the thread and dig up the information. I hope it's nothing really urgent.
        albireo написа
        ...в този форум... основно е пълно с теоретици, прогнили интелигенти и просто кръчмаро-кибици...

Comment

Hey, buddy I'll look in my sources about the Bulgarian Navy, but it will take a little time.Be patient, please
          Last edited by Imperial; 01-03-2005, 17:08.
          П.В.

Comment

Excuse me, if I interfere in this topic, even if I have not answer but only a question. Reading about Bulgarian Army in interwar period in Axis Forum, I saw that at the time of demobization Bulgarian Army had four Army District and that in November 1918 4th Army District was disbanded (and 10th Inf.Div. was tranferred to 2nd Army District). I thought that 4th army was only 3rd Army Headquarters transferred from Dobrudja to Macedonia. Now it seems that 3rd Army was not disbanded in 1918 and especially that the organization of B.A. was modified during the war, and a fourth Army District was raised. Can you tell me wether I understand correctly? Another question: I think that 10th Inf.Div. belonged to 4th Army District. Was that Division the only unit attached to it or during the War was changed the whole distribution of Bulgarian Division?
            Excuse me once more.

Comment

MCP написа
              Excuse me, if I interfere in this topic, even if I have not answer but only a question. Reading about Bulgarian Army in interwar period in Axis Forum, I saw that at the time of demobization Bulgarian Army had four Army District and that in November 1918 4th Army District was disbanded (and 10th Inf.Div. was tranferred to 2nd Army District). I thought that 4th army was only 3rd Army Headquarters transferred from Dobrudja to Macedonia. Now it seems that 3rd Army was not disbanded in 1918 and especially that the organization of B.A. was modified during the war, and a fourth Army District was raised. Can you tell me wether I understand correctly? Another question: I think that 10th Inf.Div. belonged to 4th Army District. Was that Division the only unit attached to it or during the War was changed the whole distribution of Bulgarian Division?
              Excuse me once more.
              4th Army was formed on 25.11.1917 and comprised 10th Infantry Division and 2nd Cavalry Brigade. In 10.1918 the 4th army started demobilising and was trasnformed to an army district. In 11.1918 4th Army District was disbanded.
              We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are
              ---Anais Nin----

Comment

Bulgarian artillery of interwar period!

Hello, guys!
                One month passed and, unfortunately, no answer :wall:
                I hoped that everybody here know a lot of info about Bulgarian army, or at least want to post it

I found some information about Bulgarian artillery, but many facts are contradictory! So could you write shortly the exact in your opinion info about main types of artillery guns (mortars, cannons, howitzers), used by Bulgarian Army in 1920s-1930s. Also I need the description of organization of main artillery units in Bulgarian Army during the same period (before WWII).
                As for coastal artillery - almost no info, also help please, if possible

Thanks in advance, BIGpanzer

Comment

Working...
                X