No announcement yet.

Dibo's bios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Dibo's bios

There are three that I don't understand. Can anybody translate them?
    строително-домакинската част
    команда на волно определяющите се
    за изработването на проектоуставите за вътрешната
    Thanks

Dibo's bio - Bonchev

Ivan Bonchev
    Reading Bonchev’s bio, it seems that he commanded the 5th Infantry Division durting the whole war.
    But according with various sources (mostly western) at the beginning of the war 5th Division was commanded by MG. Byrnev. According the same sources, the assignement of Ivan Bonchev during the war were:
    02.12.1916-05.03.1917 : 9th Plevenska Division
    22.11.1917-30.09.1918 : 5th Dunavska Divion
    BTW I have some problem with the commanders of 5th Division, since nowhere I found that Sava savov commanded it (as I read in Dibo's bio).

Comment

MCP написа
      There are three that I don’t understand. Can anybody translate them?
      строително-домакинската част
      команда на волно определяющите се
      за изработването на проектоуставите за вътрешната
      Thanks
      Construction and supply unit
      Volunteer's command (formed after the 1877-1878 war from former participants in the Bulgarian's militia, who wanted to continue to serve in the new Bulgarian army; most later joined the First alumni of the Military school in Sofia in 1878-1879)
      for development of the draft military regulations for internal
      We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are
      ---Anais Nin----

Comment

MCP написа
        Ivan Bonchev
        Reading Bonchev’s bio, it seems that he commanded the 5th Infantry Division durting the whole war.
        But according with various sources (mostly western) at the beginning of the war 5th Division was commanded by MG. Byrnev. According the same sources, the assignement of Ivan Bonchev during the war were:
        02.12.1916-05.03.1917 : 9th Plevenska Division
        22.11.1917-30.09.1918 : 5th Dunavska Divion
        BTW I have some problem with the commanders of 5th Division, since nowhere I found that Sava savov commanded it (as I read in Dibo's bio).
        My mistake - Bonchev commanded 5-th division since 01.1918. Now corrected. Thanks.

Commanders of 5th division AFAIK:
        Panaiot Byrnev 1915-1916;
        Sava Savov 1916-1917
        Ivan Bonchev 1918

Nota Bene - I'm using mostly secondary Bulgarian military sources. It is then possible that my data could turn out to be wrong. I'm constantly correcting mistakes and updating the bios and the list of the generals here and at the Axis history forum. I note and will check your data for Bonchev as well, whenever possiblity arises. BTW - which are the sources you mentioned?

For Sava Savov see in Russian:
        Last edited by dibo; 06-02-2005, 21:35.
        ---Anais Nin----

Comment

Thanks Dibo both for the translation and the Russian bio of Sava Svov. I think I need to learn a bit of Russian after Bulgarian!
          As for my sources unfortunately I think I cannot help you. What I collected about Bulgarian Army is the result of more than thirty years of work. I read a lot of book around the Europe and often from a book I could obtain only a name or a little information. Usually I did not mark the book where I found every information and now it is very difficult for me the source of every individual information. Moreover some data I have is only a supposition. If you are interested, I can send you my list of Bulgarian commanders of WW1 (where you can easily see how much I run into debt with you ).

Comment

I'm interested. Please send it to my e-mail or post it here

A side question - do you by chance have any information about the following book:

BULGARIAN ORDER OF BATTLE IN WORLD WAR II
            By George F. Nafziger
            ISBN: 1585450200
            Format: Paperback, 75pp
            Pub. Date: March 1995
            Publisher: Nafziger Collection, Incorporated, The
            ---Anais Nin----

Comment

dibo написа

A side question - do you by chance have any information about the following book:

By George F. Nafziger
              I ordered it. as soon as it arrives, I'll inform you about its contents.

Comment

MCP написа
                I ordered it. as soon as it arrives, I'll inform you about its contents.
                Where have you managed to order it from? I thought this book is out of print
                ---Anais Nin----

Comment

dibo написа
                  Where have you managed to order it from? I thought this book is out of print
                  I ordered it towards the middle of January through Abebooks, where you can find also book out of print. In December I bought Ivan POPOFF, Tutrakan, Sofia 1942 (with an indroduction written by Nikola Zhekov (and I spent less than Nafziger OOB). :nod:

Comment

dibo написа

By George F. Nafziger
                    Last week I have received the book and now I can try to explain its contents.
                    History of Bulgaria (pgs. 1-5) : a brief summary of history of Bulgaria from 1876
                    The Bulgarian Army (pgs. 6-7) : a brief history of expansion of Bulgarian Army from Neully to 1944
                    Bulgarian Military Equipment (pgs. 10) : a list of every weapon used by B.A. during WW2; unfortunately there is no information about quantity.
                    then we have a very complete list of every division of B.A. with detailed OOBs: for every unit there is the composition in every stage of its existence:
                    Bulgarian Mechanized Forces (pgs. 10-17): "Rapid" Division, Armored Brigade, Armored Division, Assault guns Battalions
                    Bulgarian Infantry (pgs. 17-55) : organization and strenght of an Infantry Division during the War; composition and history of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 21st, 22nd, 24th, 25th, 27th, 28th, 29th Infantruy Division (from half a page to five pages of data for Unit). Only four lines about 13th Infantry Division.
                    Bulgarian Frontier Force (pgs. 56-58) : organization and strenght of a Border Brigade during the War; composition and history of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Frontier Brigade
                    Bulgarian Fortess Force (pg. 59)
                    Bulgarian Mountain Brigade (pg. 59) : only few words (five lines)
                    Bulgarian Cavalry Division (pgs. 59-64) : organization and strenght of a Cavalry Division during the War; composition and history of 1st, 2nd Cavalry Division
                    Bulgarian Army Troops (pgs. 65-66) : organization, strenght, history of Army Artillery Regiments, Army Anti-tank Regiments, Motorized Army Engineer Battalions
                    Bulgarian Coastal Artillery (pg. 67) : detailed composition (with number and type of guns) of artillery regiments in Thrace.
                    Corps [not correct, read Army] and Division Commanders December 1941 (pg. 68) : a list of commanders with a terrible transliteration.
                    Bulgarian Army February 1942 (pgs. 69-73) : a detailed OOB of Bulgarian Army at that date
                    Bibliography (pg. 74) :
                    1. Groueff, S., Crown of Thorns, The Reign of King Boris III of Bulgaria 1918-1948, 1987, Madison Books, Landham, Maryland
                    2. Madej, W.V., Southern Europe Axis Armies Order of Battle, 1982, Rhoad Press, Allentown, PA
                    3. Madej, W.V., Southern Europe Axis Armies Handbook, 1982, Rhoad Press, Allentown, PA
                    4. Records of Headquartes, German Army High Commamnd, National Archives American Historical Association Committee for the Study of War Documents, Washington, D.C., 1960
                    5. National Archives Microfilm T-78, Rolls 332, 333, 410, 459 and T-501, Rolls 293, 294, 295.

Probably for you who can consult a lot of Bulgarian sources, this book is not really interesting. But for me, it is simply what I would like to have about Bulgarian Army in WW1 (and Balkan Wars). Unfortunately I’m not really interested in WW2.

Can you tell me wether there a book like this in Bulgarian about WW1?

Comment

Thanks a lot.
                      No such source in Bulgarian for either WW2 or WW1 here unfortunately.
                      There is just one mythical source (everybody cites it, but the single copy I know of is available only in the bibliotheque of the Military academy in Sofia) - Krakchanski, "Organisation, Armament, etc. of the Bulgarian army 1879-1944", 1961.
                      Alas here in the forum we may one day create one
                      ---Anais Nin----

Comment

I need once more your help in order to translate some terms:
                        Отделение по отбиване на военната тегоба и по пограничната служба
                        в строеви части (I think that till now I have misanderstood this word)
                        ЖП дружината (every abbreviation, even the simplest, is a terrible enigma for me).

At the end of the very interesting articles about Bulgarian General Staff, I have a little suggestion for Dibo. I know that Noikov was not a general, but since he is the only chief of Staff without a bio, can you make this only exception and offer us his bio?

Comment

MCP написа
                          I need once more your help in order to translate some terms:
                          Отделение по отбиване на военната тегоба и по пограничната служба
                          в строеви части (I think that till now I have misanderstood this word)
                          ЖП дружината (every abbreviation, even the simplest, is a terrible enigma for me).

At the end of the very interesting articles about Bulgarian General Staff, I have a little suggestion for Dibo. I know that Noikov was not a general, but since he is the only chief of Staff without a bio, can you make this only exception and offer us his bio?
                          Отделение по отбиване на военната тегоба и по пограничната служба - Military service and frontier guards service department
                          в строеви части - in "active service", "frontline" units
                          ЖП дружина - The Railway bn.

I'll put a Noikov bio here
                          Last edited by dibo; 07-03-2005, 09:33.
                          ---Anais Nin----

Comment

Thanks for your kind and fast answer, but I'm still perplexed about the word строево. For exemple, what does строево отделение mean? :sm186:

Comment

MCP написа
                              Thanks for your kind and fast answer, but I'm still perplexed about the word строево. For exemple, what does строево отделение mean? :sm186:
                              "Строй" (the noun) means formation, line, order.
                              "Строево" is the adjective of "Строй".
                              ---Anais Nin----

Comment

Working...
                              X