No announcement yet.

Serbia in WWI - MG's & Captures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Serbia in WWI - MG's & Captures

This is mostly a series of questions based on things I have run down. Information in English is like finding hen's teeth!

1. Serbian MG's. There is a Serbian M1909 in the Belgrade Museum on wheels but no shield looking otherwise like the Russian MG's. I have seen photos of Serbian MG's looking like German MG08 (but refered to as M1910) and also a photo of a Serbian Maxim on a tripod?

Are these all the types they Had?

Based on text data I get approx 240 MG's based on 4MG's per 1st Line (8) & 2nd (5) Line Infantry Regiment (in an organised Division!), plus 4 per Cavalry Regiment in the Cavalry Division & in a 1st Line Infantry Division. There were supposed to be 24 suppernumary Regigments of Infantry but I have only allowed for 8 being those in the Combined Division & Bregalnika Division (think this was not fully formed). The Vardar Division units are numbered Inf Regiments 21 to 24. This does assume that the remaining suppernummery inf regiments were not fully formed &/or equipped. Does this stack up?

A lot of MG's were captured in the 3 1914 invasions off the Austrians - around 300 as serviceable weapons. All my info here here is secondary sources & the web on the various battles. Does this agree with on english sources available to you guys? I equally assume that these captures went to Both increase the per unit allocation & to widen it - any comments please?

The Weapons of the Border Guards Companies & Gendarmre Battalions are NOT part of the Army Stocks but both units did have MG's (no info of what numbers or ratio) & some other support - my guess is positional weapons?

Captured Artillery - from tha Austrians - The Total Captures (ie serviceable even if needing some repair) I have hunted down as 180 guns and some very impressive stocks of Ammo. Does anybody have info on the make up of these guns? Based on OB's & ratio's I would assume 70% to 80% Field Guns (possibly some of this as Mountain Guns), 15% to 20% Field Howitzers and perhaps 5% Heavier?

Given Losses & Disease - Serbia's biggest issue in 1915 was Man Power. In these circumstances I assume that except for positional deployments & Heavy pieces the vast bulk of the Artillery would be QF's. The losses of 1914 and the remaining non QF Field pieces being replaced from Austrian Largesse?
Working...
X