Standard Service Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Време
  • Show

Standard Service Rifle?

Hey guys! I have a question.

What was the standard issue rifle to Bulgarian troops in The First World War?

Anyways, I'm very interested in the Role of Bulgaria in the World Wars. English language sources are not abundant however.

Bulgaria used several MBR's in WWI: Mannlicher M.88/90 rifle, Mannlicher M.1886/90 rifle, Mannlicher M.1890 carbine and Mannlicher M.1895 rifle, carbine & stutzen (short rifle).

Here are the M.1886 through M.1890 series:

Here are the M.1890 carbines (cavalry & gendarmerie):

M.1895 carbines:

M.1895 stutzens:

M.1895 rifles:

For more Mannlicher stuff go to http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14
    Никто не обнимет необъятного! - Козьма Прутков
    A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка. - Невідомий українець

Comment

What would you say was the most common?

I'm assuming the rifles were produced by Austria-Hungary, for Bulgaria. What were the markings used to indicate the weapon as Bulgarian Property? Also were captured weapons marked in any way?

I'm sorry I have so many questions!

Comment

Too many questions, indeed. That's why I suggested the Gunboards, the Mannlicher Forum in particular, where you can find a lot more information on the Bulgarian weapons than here.

On the Bulgarian markings see some of my pictures of Bulgarian contract Mannlichers. M.88/90 have a small lion under the rear sight, the M.95 rifles & carbines have the crest (lion in shield).

A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка. - Невідомий українець

Comment

Thanks, that helps me alot! I'm hoping to start a rifle collection dedicated to the Central Powers, nothing elaborate, just the most commonly issued rifles. Gew98, M95, M1893 and for Bulgaria the M.88/90? I'm assuming that was the most commonly issued rifle?

I did sign up for the Gunboards, but I was asking my questions here in the hope that because this forum is dedicated to Bulgarian topics I would have a better chance of getting answers then at a normal site. Nevertheless I will ask these questions there aswell, I just hadn't got around to it.

Comment

Even in Austro-Hungary M.88/90 made up 2/3 of all battle rifles when WWI began. Only later in the war M.95 became the most widely used rifle.

Comment

Working...
            X